Friday, May 15, 2009

breaking the rules!

I realised a couple of weeks back that our games took up a huge amount of space in our study wardrobe - 4 shelves worth of precious, precious out-of-sight storage space!
And it occurred to me that much of that is air - air inside padded out boxes (you know how board games often have a cardboard bit inside to make a neat nook for the pieces & pad the box out to the size of the board..), and air between differently shaped boxes...

But why?! Why do the games have to stay in their original boxes?!
We've already gotten rid of the games that we don't want to keep long-term, so keeping them intact for sale purposes isn't a good enough reason to hold onto these space wasters...

so.. we got rid of this-
and replaced it with this-
which is a 25L (i think?) wheeled plastic tub, which holds a multitude of these-
little *labelled* snap lock bags containing the pieces/cards/money & rules, and, where appropriate, a colour-coded sticker to match with the game's board for easy pairing. Because i'm that sort of person. The outside of the big box then has lists of the games contained within, sorted into adults & kids games, and, again where appropriate, a note of what colour sticker the game & board has. See? I really am that sort of person ;-)

the net result being-
1.5 shelves taken up, and in a fairly orderly fashion, rather than 4+ all higgledy-piggledy!

The hidden bonus is that the mess factories living here are too little to open the big box, whereas previously they would pull the whole stack of boxes onto the floor & scatter the contents! So i'm very happy with this solution!

4 comments:

Sharonnz said...

Very clever - and anal too - I appreciate that aspect;-)

Margo said...

I love the idea. I think in practicality I would hate living with that myself (I'm not as anal) lol... but that's ME. And we don't have nearly as many to begin with.

Heather said...

Love the idea....just not sure I can bring myself to take them out of the boxes:-)

Nikki Elisabeth said...

Nova - you're an inspiration.

xo